Featured Post

Visual Novels, Anime, and the Trouble with Adaptations

((Note: This was written mostly before the Rewrite anime was released.)) It's always exciting to see a favorite story get adapted. You...

Monday, October 3, 2016

ErogeQuest Part I: Journey Through C's Ware

Halfway because I'm interested in visual novel history and halfway because I hate myself, a few weeks ago I decided to go and read C's Wares first VNs. A rational person would immediately dismiss these games as smut and then bleach their eye holes after beholding them, but I'm not quite rational.

I know it gets better. I know this garbage culminates in YU-NO, which is alone enough motivation to push me through the slush. Surely the previous games by YU-NO's staff would have redeeming qualities, right?

Ha, ha.

--------------

The following are my notes while reading mixed in with post-mortem evaluation. I am aware the writing devolves with time. These games have destroyed my ability to organize my thoughts.

--------------

RECURRING THEMES / MOTIFS:
[1] Mean-spirited
[2] Lack of agency in sex scenes ('craziness', 'love pills')
[3] "Rape is something to be endured"
[4] FUCKED UP
[5] PUNISHMENT
[6] Random and "convenient" characterizations for sex scenes

-----Fatal Relations-----

So like, you move into a house with your new family after your father dies or something. The house is led by a matriarch and houses several sisters. The house is special, though. Every character wants sex with you, all the time, until it kills you. This made it pretty (unintentionally) hilarious.

Negatives:

  • Shit. Total shit.
  • Uncomfortable as fuck.   
  • I hated everyone except the maid.
  • Nothing really made sense, was the house making people crazy? Or something?
  • It invokes [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], AND [6]. Fantastic!
Positives: 
  • The ending was amazing. Everybody burned to death in a mansion fire.
  • Kinda funny in a "this is garbage" kinda way.
  • The maid was a bro.
  • It was short.

There are strong horror vibes in this game, particularly sexual horror, which is a recurring theme in C's Wares games (which is really uncomfortable). Otherwise, there's nothing really to talk about here,


-----Love Potion-----

It's all the same shtick: guy comes to all-girls school as a teacher, sex happens constantly. This time, a magic pill makes everyone go into heat. Wow!

That said, there were actually traces of goodness in here. This is Hiroyuki Kanno's entry into VN writing iirc, and you can definitely see a resemblance to YU-NO in here, namely the humor and style of writing. On top of that, the conspiracy-type plot with many moving parts. It kind of reminds me of Divi-Dead too, even though the authors aren't shared.

Still pretty bad, the ending was kind of nice though. (A happy-ish ending?)

I can see why people say that C's Ware and Kanno can only write sex-themed stories though --- even when looking at Divi-Dead and YU-NO, the sex (and, in the former, sexual horror) motifs are pretty strong. I know he can write WELL (re: YU-NO) but it would be interesting to see a... not rape-centric story before then?


-----Don't Call Me Amy-----

The translation of this game is a fucking disaster. I literally cannot even tell what's happening.
me too
Emi is a really funny character though, but that's just because I kinda like airhead characters.
The scenarios are ridiculous, and I think that might be intentional. The first story is a school life story, followed by a nurse story (lol), concluding with a maid story (LOL).
The game seems aware of this, esp considering the character commentaries between stories (something I liked actually).

The plot is highly sexual, with a bit of sexual horror.

Literally LOL'd when Tomomi got stabbed to death in the end of the second story.

THE LAWS OF NATURE LITErALLY ARE FORCING THE GIRL AND THE BOY TO BE MARRIED OR ELSE HE'S CURSED LOL

Emi was tortured as a maid, so in vengeance, she and Tomomi literally rape everybody in the house.

THE HOUSE BURNT DOWN AGAIN LOL

happy ending again

What the fuck is this stuff in the description about "two Amys" and split personalities? I literally got none of that. Did we play the same game?

EXTRAS: Fun PSA on contraception, because lol.

--------------

Parting remarks:


No comments:

Post a Comment